I have been wanting to start writing/blogging about things that aren't just the latest family update. I don't know why. I just keep getting this urge to write. Some people seem to blog and have mutiple topics/columns on the same blog and keep them seperate...but I don't know how to do that. So for now, I will start these posts with 'My Thoughts'. That way- all of you just wanting to see pictures or a quick update of my cute children can skip reading.
Now that I have that out of the way....
MercyOver the past couple of weeks, the concept of Mercy has been frequently on my mind. It seems as though I am to be learning something about mercy. The topic keeps coming up. I read an email devotional- the topic is mercy. A sermon- on grace and mercy. A reading from a daily scripture plan- on mercy. OK God, what are you wanting me to learn about Mercy? So I started to pray and trying to read more.
I have learned, Mercy is hard. I FAIL daily at giving mercy to those I love most. God gives me mercy in every moment of my day. If I am to follow HARD after Him, I need to pray for the ability to freely give grace and mercy in my life.
Grace and Mercy- often said together, but not quite the same thing. I am sure many of you have heard as I have: "Grace is being given something you don't deserve. Mercy is witholding something you do deserve". Said differently: "Mercy is witholding justice, Grace is giving that same person freedom from judgement."
When I goolged the word "Mercy", the first hits are a TV show and a hospital, but the Bible tells me of a different Mercy.
If I say my foot slips, your mercy will hold me up. Psalm 94:18
...But you don't obey the really important things: justice, mercy and faithfulness. Matthew 23:23
The more I think about mercy, the more I am amazed at God's love. He not only gives us grace and forgives us of our sins, he doesn't punish us for those sins.
He is teaching me there are so many little ways I neglect to show mercy.
- when the dishes aren't put away after a long day
- when a piece of furniture is drawn on by a 5 year old
- when someone is too caught up in their daily struggle to show me compassion.
And sure, I might grant grace but only after punishment has been given. Yell at my children after they have disobeyed, and then forgive. Stomp around the kitchen cleaning up, and then forgive. Talk about how someone has wronged me to someone else, and then forgive. These are not acts of mercy. I am sure to give a punishment prior to forgiveness.
I also know that when I am not shown mercy...it hurts. I generally tend to respond to a lack of mercy with anger. Then a return of no mercy. We can so hurt each other- a mean glance, a silent treatment, snapping at our children. Yes- we all mess up. But boy do we let each other have it when we do.
And there are the bigger things. The things that can enslave our heads and hearts. The things that if we could give grace and mercy we would be libertated. I want to grant that mercy. I want to give grace when mercy isn't given to me. It is hard. I can not do it alone.
And so I pray,
Come into my darkness God. Heal me. Empower me. Transform me. Liberate me so I can help others seek God and be liberated.
God, help me grant mercy. Oh how hard it is to not only forgive, but to not 'punish' those that wrong us. Help me seek You when others are unable to grant mercy to me.
Jesus, son of God, have mercy on me.
Now that I have that out of the way....
MercyOver the past couple of weeks, the concept of Mercy has been frequently on my mind. It seems as though I am to be learning something about mercy. The topic keeps coming up. I read an email devotional- the topic is mercy. A sermon- on grace and mercy. A reading from a daily scripture plan- on mercy. OK God, what are you wanting me to learn about Mercy? So I started to pray and trying to read more.
I have learned, Mercy is hard. I FAIL daily at giving mercy to those I love most. God gives me mercy in every moment of my day. If I am to follow HARD after Him, I need to pray for the ability to freely give grace and mercy in my life.
Grace and Mercy- often said together, but not quite the same thing. I am sure many of you have heard as I have: "Grace is being given something you don't deserve. Mercy is witholding something you do deserve". Said differently: "Mercy is witholding justice, Grace is giving that same person freedom from judgement."
When I goolged the word "Mercy", the first hits are a TV show and a hospital, but the Bible tells me of a different Mercy.
If I say my foot slips, your mercy will hold me up. Psalm 94:18
...But you don't obey the really important things: justice, mercy and faithfulness. Matthew 23:23
The more I think about mercy, the more I am amazed at God's love. He not only gives us grace and forgives us of our sins, he doesn't punish us for those sins.
He is teaching me there are so many little ways I neglect to show mercy.
- when the dishes aren't put away after a long day
- when a piece of furniture is drawn on by a 5 year old
- when someone is too caught up in their daily struggle to show me compassion.
And sure, I might grant grace but only after punishment has been given. Yell at my children after they have disobeyed, and then forgive. Stomp around the kitchen cleaning up, and then forgive. Talk about how someone has wronged me to someone else, and then forgive. These are not acts of mercy. I am sure to give a punishment prior to forgiveness.
I also know that when I am not shown mercy...it hurts. I generally tend to respond to a lack of mercy with anger. Then a return of no mercy. We can so hurt each other- a mean glance, a silent treatment, snapping at our children. Yes- we all mess up. But boy do we let each other have it when we do.
And there are the bigger things. The things that can enslave our heads and hearts. The things that if we could give grace and mercy we would be libertated. I want to grant that mercy. I want to give grace when mercy isn't given to me. It is hard. I can not do it alone.
And so I pray,
Come into my darkness God. Heal me. Empower me. Transform me. Liberate me so I can help others seek God and be liberated.
God, help me grant mercy. Oh how hard it is to not only forgive, but to not 'punish' those that wrong us. Help me seek You when others are unable to grant mercy to me.
Jesus, son of God, have mercy on me.
No comments:
Post a Comment